- This event has passed.
Volunteer Derecho Cleanup
October 3, 2020 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Brucemore, Iowa’s only National Trust historic site, reflects over 140 years of history through 26-acres and seven historic structures. On August 10, hurricane-like winds of over 110 miles per hour caused massive damage to the property. The derecho damaged over 70% of the tree canopy, including more than 40 century-old trees. Staff and contractors have been addressing the most critical issues and working to remove hanging limbs since the storm. Now we need your help in the recovery process!
We are looking for volunteers to assist our small staff with clean-up of designated areas of the grounds, which may include removing branches, trimming trees, hauling debris, picking up building fragments, and raking.
We ask that volunteers:
- Work only in areas designated by Brucemore staff
- Be able to work outdoors in varying degrees of fall weather for multiple hours
- Complete work based on physical abilities
- Take breaks as needed and hydrate regularly
- Wear a mask when within 6’ of others and spatial distance when possible
- Closed toe shoes
Volunteers choosing to bring their own chainsaw or other sharp-bladed equipment, must:
- Be 18 years or older
- Bring own equipment and have substantial previous experience using it
- Wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including gloves, eye protection, chaps, ear protection, and hard hat
- Only cut branches / trees that are on the ground and have been designated by Brucemore staff
If you’re able to help, please see upcoming opportunities to sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0d48afa72ba0f49-volunteer6
View our Ticket Policy
View our COVID Policy