Brucemore Property Accessibility
- The Brucemore mansion includes multiple floors and several staircases. Because of the historic architecture, some spaces are not accessible. Due to preservation work, the wheelchair lift that offers accessibility to the first floor will be unavailable until late 2022. An elevator is not available from the first floor to the other floors at any time. Visit the Estate online to see the mansion interior and explore the collections.
- The first floor of the Carriage House is handicap accessible.
- Accessible restrooms can be found in the Carriage House, outdoor public restrooms located near the Carriage House in the Chicken Coop, and on the first floor of the mansion. Additional accessible restrooms are often rented for large events.
- Wide sidewalks and roadways are handicap accessible to allow visiting the landscape and attending events. Visitors with mobility challenges may have difficulty maneuvering unpaved paths especially during seasonal weather. We recommend visiting with a friend or power-assisted device to help with navigation.
- Accessible parking spaces are located in the lots near the mansion and the Carriage House. Accessible parking spaces are also designated at each event at on-site or nearby off-site locations.
- Please feel free to call (319) 362-7375 prior to visiting to learn about accommodations for your visit.
Accessibility on Our Website
Our website offers accommodations for people with visual and hearing impairments. Here are a few recommendations to help make your browsing experience more accessible:
If you have trouble seeing web pages, the US Social Security Administration offers these tips for optimizing your computer and browser to improve your online experience.
- Use the keyboard to navigate screens
- Increase text size
- Magnify your screen
- Change background and text colors
- Make your mouse pointer more visible (Windows only)
If you are looking for mouse and keyboard alternatives, speech recognition software such as Dragon Naturally Speaking may help you navigate web pages and online services. This software allows the user to move focus around a web page or application screen through voice controls.
Closed captioning provides a transcript for the audio track of a video presentation that is synchronized with the video and audio tracks. Captions are generally visually displayed over the video, which benefits people who are deaf and hard of hearing, and anyone who cannot hear the audio due to noisy environments. Learn how to turn captioning on and off in YouTube.
Your computer, tablet, or mobile device has volume control features. Each video or audio service has additional volume controls. Try adjusting your device’s volume controls and your media players’ volume controls to optimize your listening experience.