History for All
Brucemore inspires community interaction with history, preservation, and the arts. The 1880s mansion, six other historic structures, 26-acres of gardens and grounds, and tens of thousands of objects and archival documents serve as an irreplaceable foundation representing more than 130 years of history. Since 1981, more than one million people have visited the carefully preserved estate for community, cultural, and heritage programs.
Our vision is twofold:
- To expand the legacy of Brucemore’s families in making Iowa a better place to live, work, and visit.
- To model a balance of best practices in preservation and innovative use.
Are you passionate about history, preservation, or the arts? Get involved in supporting our mission and vision.
- David Janssen, Chief Executive Officer
- Tara Richards, Chief Operating Officer
- Katie Benedix, Director of Business and Development
- Aaron Brewer, Historic Landscape Manager
- Megan Clevenger, Program and Outreach Manager
- Ashley Courtney, Office Administrator
- David Morton, Curator of Landscape
- Jessica Peel-Austin, Curator of Museum Collections
- Rachel Potthoff, Preservation Project Manager
- Blais Richlapp, Site Maintenance Specialist
- Jennifer Beall, Visitor Services Assistant
- Stephanie Carleton, Visitor Services Assistant
- Michael Coester, Visitor Services Assistant
- Allie Mersch, Visitor Services Assistant
Board of Trustees
The National Trust for Historic Preservation, a non-profit organization based out of Washington D.C., owns the Brucemore buildings and landscape. The operation, which oversees care of the estate and programming efforts, are developed by Brucemore, Inc., a non-profit run by a local Board of Trustees.
2022 Board Officers
- Brian Fagan, President
- Doug Neumann, Vice President
- Kathy Hall, Secretary
- Kimberly Hillyard, Treasurer
2022 Board Members
- Brian Bergstrom
- Kevin Bruns
- Ryan Buresh
- Robert Cataldo
- Lisha Coffey
- Suzy DeWolf
- Mark Mathis III
- Dr. Jennifer Murphy
- Kim Schmidt
- Doug Steinmetz
- Daniel Thies
Jobs & Internships
Brucemore’s team views history as a collection of diverse experiences and cultures that provides a better understanding of who we are today. We are committed to preserving this unique estate for future generations, and we embrace collaboration, integrity, and other core values in order to achieve the highest professional standards.
Current Job Openings:
Seasonal Building and Grounds Assistant
Will work on a broad range of garden, landscape, and maintenance activities to provide beautiful and safe grounds for people to visit and enjoy. The estate features 26-acres of lawn and gardens, wooded areas, a pond, an orchard, and two greenhouses. Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Performing seasonal gardens and landscape work including planting, watering, pruning, dividing and transplanting, weeding, grubbing, mulching, trimming, edging, pest management, and leaf/litter removal
- Caring for diverse plantings of trees, shrubs, vines, perennials, annuals, grasses, and bulbs
- Operating, maintaining, and caring for various tools, including lawnmowers, tractors, weed eaters, shovels, rakes, and other gardening and landscaping equipment
- Representing the site while interacting with the public and volunteers
- Other duties as assigned
WAGE: $12.00 per hour
HOURS OF POSITION: 15-20 hours per week, Mid October through December 2022. Hours will typically be scheduled Monday through Friday between 7:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., with variations based on project work and weather. Occasional weekend, evening, or holiday shifts may be required.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Advanced degrees, coursework, or professional experience in horticulture, landscaping, or related areas preferred
- Ability to work in changing weather conditions (rain, sun, wind, heat, humidity, etc.)
- Must have a valid driver’s license, with an acceptable driving record
- Ability to lift and/or carry items up to 50 pounds unassisted and regularly perform strenuous daily activities that require climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, and handling tools and materials
To apply complete the online form here.
Brucemore is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or disability.
If you’re interested in volunteer opportunities, please contact us.
Brucemore provides internship opportunities in a variety of disciplines, from museum studies to event management. We are excited to showcase our interns and their learning experience with Brucemore!