- This event has passed.
Live from the Artisan Studio: Tesla
June 3 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 7:00 pm on Friday and Saturday, repeating until June 4, 2022
The performance on Saturday, June 4 has been canceled due to weather and unfortunately we will be unable to offer a make-up performance. Our staff will be reaching out to ticket holders.
Take a peek behind the curtain and witness music in the making at Brucemore’s Live from the Artisan Studio series. Enjoy acoustic performances from different artists and hear about their work at Brucemore’s exclusive Artisan Studio. Bring your own snacks and drinks for a fun and relaxed evening of music.
Three years ago, at Brucemore’s Cabaret in the Courtyard event, accomplished musical theater composer and lyricist Rob Nassif premiered 11 songs from a new musical he was working on about Nikola Tesla, with a story by Cavan Hallman. The Live From the Artisan Studio series is proud to share the first staged reading in front of a live audience. The cast will consist entirely of Iowa artists who will be in essence premiering this work.
- On the lawn of the backyard of the Artisan Studio
- $20 per adult
- $10 per student
- Brucemore donors receive a discount by “signing in” using the link in the upper right corner of the purchase tickets page.
About Robert Nassif
Robert Lindsey Nassif is a composer/lyricist/librettist who has worked on Broadway, off-Broadway and regionally with Hal Prince, Stephen Sondheim, Arthur Miller, Carol Burnett, Joss Whedon and Disney Feature Animation.
Three years ago during Brucemore’s Cabaret in the Courtyard series, Rob premiered 11 songs from a new musical he was working on about Nikola Tesla, with a story by Cavan Hallman. During this Artisan Studio feature, Rob will give the first public reading of Tesla featuring a cast of extremely talented performers.
Nikola Tesla was an inventor, a visionary and perhaps a madman, who loved Sarah Bernhardt and also loved a pigeon. He saw electricity as a basic human right and battled Edison to make electricity affordable to everyone. He foresaw our modern world and in doing so, invented the future.
About Cavan Hallman
Cavan Hallman’s plays have been performed at the National WWII Museum, National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library, Strawdog Theatre, Donny’s Skybox, The Artistic Home, RhinoFest, KAPOOT, The Elm, Seattle Fringe, and Columbia College Chicago. His plays for young audiences have received over 15,000 performances in elementary schools across the country for an audience of over 5 million students and teachers. He has performed Off-Broadway, along with other roles in New York, Chicago, New Orleans, and Cork, Ireland, where he presented his solo show Not Easily Forgotten. Cavan’s fiction has been featured in the Southern Writers’ Reading Series and the Cane River Reading Series, and his theatrical essays have been featured in PerformInk.
Cavan is the founding Artistic Director for Mirrorbox Theatre, currently in its third season as the only company in Iowa that exclusively presents contemporary plays in their Iowa premieres. For Mirrorbox he has directed the Iowa premieres of Exit Strategy, Red Speedo, Luna Gale, There Is A Happiness That Morning Is, Sender, and Orange Julius. He serves as the producer for Mirrorbox’s nationally recognized online reading series, Out the Box, where he has directed over a dozen performances.
He is based in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. He is a Resident Artist with The CRY HAVOC Company in NYC and holds an MFA in Playwriting from the University of New Orleans, for whom he has also taught acting and scriptwriting.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR YOUR VISIT
- Safety: Masks are optional. Anyone who wishes to wear a mask is encouraged to do so. View our COVID policy here.
- Seating: Lawn space is on a first-come basis. Patrons are responsible for bringing their own blanket or chair.
- Food and Beverages: You are welcome to bring your own picnics and beverages (beer and wine allowed) to enjoy in the performance venue. Concessions will not be available for sale at this event.
- Parking: The only gate that will open to vehicles for on-site parking is at 2160 Linden Drive SE. Signage will direct you to open spaces near the Visitor Center.
- Pets: Pets are not allowed, with the exception of service animals.
- Weather: The event occurs fully outdoors and may be held in light rain. If the event needs to be delayed or rescheduled due to weather, a decision will be made by 5:00 p.m. and ticket holders will be notified by phone. There will be no refunds, only exchanges to another date if possible.
A SPECIAL THANKS TO BRUCEMORE’S 2022 SUMMER SEASON SPONSORS:
Cedar Grove Signature Fund of the Greater Cedar Rapids Community Foundation
Greater Cedar Rapids Community Foundation Program Fund Grant
Cedar Rapids Bank & Trust
GreenState Credit Union
Simmons Perrine Moyer Bergman PLC
View our Ticket Policy
View our COVID Policy