National Trust for Historic Preservation
In 1981, Margaret Hall left her family estate to the National Trust for Historic Preservation to benefit the community in perpetuity. Brucemore and the National Trust share a common interest in the historic preservation of built and natural environments as a way to add value to communities and enrich people's lives.
President Truman signed legislation creating the National Trust for Historic Preservation on October 26, 1949, with an initial purpose of acquiring and administering historic sites. Today, the National Trust "works to save America's historic places for the next generation" by advocating and working with local preservation groups and governments to preserve America's rich architectural heritage.
While owned by the National Trust, a local board operates Brucemore. All decisions regarding the rehabilitation, restoration, and preservation of the site are made in cooperation between Brucemore, Inc., and the National Trust.
The National Trust's role in Cedar Rapids and Eastern Iowa expands beyond Brucemore's gates. Today, the National Trust owns 26 historic sites nationwide. The National Trust also administers a program acknowledging Historic Artists' Homes and Studios, including the Cedar Rapids Museum of Art's Grant Wood Home and Studio.
The National Trust Main Street program works to encourage economic development within the context of historic preservation primarily in small towns; and in 2009, the Czech Village/New Bohemia Urban Main Street District was established on the south side of Cedar Rapids.
Visit the National Trust for Historic Preservation for more information.
Support Brucemore's ongoing preservation efforts
Preserving Brucemore's built and natural assets is an act of unconditional stewardship. Participate in the rehabilitation of the buildings, gardens, and grounds by making a one-time or annual gift to our preservation projects.