Classics at Brucemore: Of Mice and Men
When: Thu July 11 - Sat July 20, 7:30pm - 10:00pm
Where: Peggy Boyle Whitworth Amphitheater at Brucemore
- Thu July 11, 7:30pm - 10:00pm
- Fri July 12, 7:30pm - 10:00pm
- Sat July 13, 7:30pm - 10:00pm
- Thu July 18, 7:30pm - 10:00pm
- Fri July 19, 7:30pm - 10:00pm
- Sat July 20, 7:30pm - 10:00pm
Grab a blanket, lawn chair, and picnic and enjoy an evening of outdoor theater in the natural amphitheater at Brucemore!
About of Mice and Men
Two drifters, George and his friend Lennie, with delusions of living off the "fat of the land," have just arrived at a ranch to work for enough money to buy their own place. Lennie is a man-child, a little boy in the body of a dangerously powerful man. It's Lennie's obsessions with things soft and cuddly, that have made George cautious about with whom the gentle giant, with his brute strength, associates. His promise to allow Lennie to "tend to the rabbits" on their future land keeps Lennie calm, amidst distractions, as the overgrown child needs constant reassurance. But when a ranch boss' promiscuous wife is found dead in the barn with a broken neck, it's obvious that Lennie, albeit accidentally, killed her. George, now worried about his own safety, knows exactly where Lennie has gone to hide, and he meets him there. Realizing they can't run away anymore, George is faced with a moral question: how should he deal with Lennie before the ranchers find him and take matters into their own hands.
Performance and Ticket Information:
- Tickets will go on sale May 1!
- Performances July 11, 12, 13, 18, 19, and 20, at 7:30 p.m.
- The gates open at 6:30 p.m. for picnicking and on-site parking by entering the property at 2160 Linden Drive SE
- $15 per Brucemore member or student ticket purchased in advance
- $20 per adult purchased in advance
- $25 per ticket purchased at the event
- Tickets are non-refundable. See weather and refund policy linked above.
- Audiences are encouraged to bring lawn chairs, blankets, picnics, and beverages. Beer and wine allowed.
- No pets allowed.
About the Classics at Brucemore:
The Classics at Brucemore began as collaboration between Torchlight Theatrics and Brucemore in 1996, thus launching outdoor theatre in Eastern Iowa. The Classics celebrates a rich history of quality live theatre, from Greek tragedy to Shakespearean comedy and 20th century American drama. Much more than a play performed outdoors, the Classics fully utilizes the site as the natural amphitheater provides a lush backdrop and the outdoor environment is incorporated into the action — actors emerge from the woods, get dunked in the pond, and help themselves to the audience’s picnics.
Photo by Struttmann Photo