Lord & Burnham Greenhouse Rehabilitation
From 2011 to 2012, Brucemore rehabilitated the historic Lord & Burnham Greenhouse in the heart of the estate.
Around 1915, the Douglas family purchased the Lord & Burnham Greenhouse to provide gardeners with an enclosed space in which they could start plants for the gardens and provide a source of fresh flowers during the winter.
Originally, the structure consisted of a small head house, a glasshouse, and detached cold frames in the rear. The Halls doubled the size of the glasshouse to 900 square feet in 1940 and moved the cold frames to the sides. These modifications proved to be inappropriate for growing and interpretation purposes.
Consequently, the Brucemore Board of Trustees and the National Trust decided to restore the building to its original design — small head house, a 450 square-foot glasshouse, and several detached cold frames on the south lawn.
However, the modern, efficient furnace and mechanized vent and shade systems make this space a fully operational growing space.
NOTE: Interpretive panels located in the head house are available for viewing whenever the Mansion is open for tours.
A closer look....
Support Brucemore's ongoing preservation efforts
Preserving Brucemore's built and natural assets is an act of unconditional stewardship. Participate in the rehabilitation of the buildings, gardens, and grounds by making a one-time or annual gift to our preservation projects.