Classics at Brucemore: Lysistrata
When: Thu July 13 - Sat July 22, 7:30pm - 10:00pm
Where: Peggy Boyle Whitworth Amphitheater at Brucemore
- Thu July 13, 7:30pm - 9:30pm
- Fri July 14, 7:30pm - 9:30pm
- Sat July 15, 7:30pm - 9:30pm
- Thu July 20, 7:30pm - 9:30pm
- Fri July 21, 7:30pm - 9:30pm
- Sat July 22, 7:30pm - 9:30pm
- Advance Member or Student Tickets - $15.00
- Advance Non-Member Tickets - $20.00
- All Tickets Day Of: $25.00
Brucemore Ticket and Weather Policy
- An event may be canceled by Brucemore if, in its sole judgment, extreme weather or other conditions could jeopardize the safety of visitors, volunteers, performers, and staff. Generally, rain or snow flurries would not lead the event to be canceled; however, extremely heavy rain, thunder and lightning, very strong wind, blizzard conditions, heavy icing, or a prediction of such conditions could force the event to be canceled.
- Outdoor performances may be delayed to allow for the passing of a brief shower or may continue as scheduled during a light rain. If staff determines that conditions warrant canceling an event, a message will be posted on Brucemore's website and voicemail. Local media will be notified and asked to make an announcement.
- If Brucemore cancels before the event, tickets may be exchanged for another performance of the same event (if space is available) or a request may be made to credit the value of the tickets as a tax-deductible contribution to Brucemore.
- If an event is in progress, every effort will be made to complete the performance in progress.
- If a performance is canceled before intermission, tickets may be exchanged for another performance of the same event (if space is available). There are no ticket refunds or exchanges for shortened, interrupted, or delayed performances past intermission.
- All sales are final. No refunds are available. However, returned tickets may qualify as a tax deductible donation if returned to Brucemore before the event begins.
Grab a blanket, lawn chair, and picnic and escape into the world of classic theater as Brucemore presents Aristophanes’ classic Greek comedy about the battle of the sexes. The women of Athens and Sparta decide to take matters into their own hands and end the war in an unconventional and clever way.
Lysistrata by Aristophanes
A classics Greek comedy about the battle of the sexes
Directed by: Leslie Charipar
Presenting Sponsor: Rockwell Collins
Media Sponsor: The Gazette
Performance and Ticket Information:
- Performances July 13, 14, 15, 20, 21, and 22 at 7:30 p.m.
- Parking is available on-site beginning at 6:30 p.m. by entering the property at 2160 Linden Drive SE
- $15 per Brucemore member or student ticket purchased in advance
- $20 per adult purchased in advance
- $25 per ticket purchased the day of the show. Tickets available at the event.
- Tickets are non-refundable. See weather and refund policy linked above.
- Recommend for mature audiences.
- Audiences are encouraged to bring lawn chairs, blankets, picnics, and beverages.
- No pets allowed.
About the Classics at Brucemore:
The Classics at Brucemore began as collaboration between Torchlight Theatrics and Brucemore in 1996, thus launching outdoor theatre in Eastern Iowa. The Classics celebrates a rich history of quality live theatre, from Greek tragedy to Shakespearean comedy and 20th century American drama. Much more than a play performed outdoors, the Classics fully utilizes the site as the natural amphitheater provides a lush backdrop and the outdoor environment is incorporated into the action — actors emerge from the woods, get dunked in the pond, and help themselves to the audience’s picnics.
Photo by Struttmann Photo